- 4-5 Medium to Large Heirloom tomatoes
- 8-10 Fresh Basil Leaves, chopped
- 1/3 Cup Chopped Scallions
- One 9 inch deep-dish store bought pie shell or home made if you have it
Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 Cups shredded Mozzarella and Cheddar Cheese combined
- 1 Cup Mayonnaise
- Minced garlic to taste
Pre-bake pie shell according to directions and cool slightly
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
Peel and slice tomatoes and drain slices thoroughly on paper towels**This step is crucial to avoid having a watery pie!
Layer tomato slices, basil, onion and garlic in the pre-baked shell.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. You can also add a pinch of cayenne pepper if wanted.
Mix together cheese and mayonnaise and spread on top of tomatoes.
Bake for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned.
A mixture of different colored tomatoes is nice. But make sure to really drain the tomatoes well. Since they are heirlooms, they will have more moisture in them than regular store bought tomatoes.